Ubuntu
I was right, About an hour after boot up last night the computer crashed so I had to do another complete install. The bright side of this is I get to set all new high scores on my games. The down side is I again lost all my documents that had not yet been backed up. No problem with that though it was only 40 pages of cheat sheets for fish fillets. All else was backed up for this very thing happening at a regular basis. Although this install is still buggy it is working a little better then the last one but the video still does not work. I have not tried to upload any pictures yet but I think its not going to work either. What did Ubuntu do to itself? It was once a pretty good set up. :/ Never mind that last question, I will answer it myself. Flash. Its all about looking good. Who cares if it dont work anymore as long as it looks good.
Since I have to deal with a few neglected computer repairs I figured I would start with Bugs Bunny and the future power mother board. Success! Bugs bunny's problem did appear to be the ide strap possible problem I mentioned in one or two posts. As far as the mother boad finally working again is a peer stroke of luck unless it goes back to them ide straps. I do have several dozen of them but only a few of the better ones that seem to be not so good anymore. Anyway I got ubuntu to install on Bugs Bunny just fine but it appears that I still do not have video functions working yet so I am betting that my camera wont upload either. I will try that in the morning. For those wondering what Bugs bunny is: Its one of my hard drives. The names for them started several years ago when I had Macjr work on my computer and he named the drive Daffy Duck, And I still have that drive as well for quite a few of them old games and pictures for back up. Smile I find I need to use it a lot with ubuntu. :/
(01-07-2014, 07:02 PM)White Crane Wrote: Since I have to deal with a few neglected computer repairs I figured I would start with Bugs Bunny and the future power mother board. Success! Bugs bunny's problem did appear to be the ide strap possible problem I mentioned in one or two posts. As far as the mother boad finally working again is a peer stroke of luck unless it goes back to them ide straps. I do have several dozen of them but only a few of the better ones that seem to be not so good anymore. Anyway I got ubuntu to install on Bugs Bunny just fine but it appears that I still do not have video functions working yet so I am betting that my camera wont upload either. I will try that in the morning. For those wondering what Bugs bunny is: Its one of my hard drives. The names for them started several years ago when I had Macjr work on my computer and he named the drive Daffy Duck, And I still have that drive as well for quite a few of them old games and pictures for back up. Smile I find I need to use it a lot with ubuntu. :/

Daffy Duck? I had completely forgotten about that. Wink

I do remember doing that now though. I used to be more creative when working on family and friend computers, and add more customizations, and a few traps, than I do now.

These days, I get a computer in to work on and I want to get it out as soon as possible so I can get back to my own projects. So, people just get their computers fixed, or restored back to their defaults, with just the bare minimum of extras, if any. However, I still, usually, do a few custom adjustments here and there though, to set right a few stupid default settings. The MACJR adjusted settings are far more user friendly for my family and friends.

MACJR
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage of the MythBusters
ok, I am done with this round of working on computers. I now have two working ubuntu computers again (both of them still have their own bugs) but functional and the xp is working again. That too is still in sad contion but Mom says she is happy with it. I still want to club it with a flintstone club but unfortunatly it is the last working xp computer. I tried to get my pictures uploaded on it but with no luck. It wouldnt except my camera either. I had that problem with that computer before so it didnt surprise me. I could have got it to work if I wanted to spend more time on it but I didnt. Its time to go play in the mine. Smile
(01-12-2014, 11:46 AM)White Crane Wrote: ok, I am done with this round of working on computers. I now have two working ubuntu computers again (both of them still have their own bugs) but functional and the xp is working again. That too is still in sad contion but Mom says she is happy with it. I still want to club it with a flintstone club but unfortunatly it is the last working xp computer. I tried to get my pictures uploaded on it but with no luck. It wouldnt except my camera either. I had that problem with that computer before so it didnt surprise me. I could have got it to work if I wanted to spend more time on it but I didnt. Its time to go play in the mine. Smile

I have Ubuntu installed on a partition on my Windows 8.1 computer, but I rarely use it these days. I log into it every so often to update it, but then I exit out and reboot back into Windows 8.1.

Although there are open source programs that can do most of the things I need to work on my projects with, they are, in general, just not as good as the Windows versions of those programs that I prefer to use.

I like Kubuntu better than Ubuntu, but it has the same issues with programs that are just not good enough yet (in fact, the selection of available programs is identical to those available for Ubuntu). Also, Kubuntu has some stability issues, even worse than Ubuntu.

If I did not have the options of Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.1, I would definitely be using Ubuntu and Kubuntu more than I do now, though. Both Ubuntu and Kubuntu, and probably several other Linux based operating systems, are better options than Windows XP is for today's online world.

As for your computer situation, it will be awhile before I can help you out with that. I have some parts you can use, as I have told you, but you will need a few additional parts to make them work for you. In time, I am bound to get those additional parts for you too, but I am still trying to save up enough money to get a new clothes dryer, and pay off a huge bill from my old apartment complex. I still need to pay those dirty rats to get them off my back - but a new dryer is the first item on my list of things to pay for. I am tired of hang drying my clothes.

MACJR
(01-12-2014, 04:24 PM)MACJR Wrote:
(01-12-2014, 11:46 AM)White Crane Wrote: ok, I am done with this round of working on computers. I now have two working ubuntu computers again (both of them still have their own bugs) but functional and the xp is working again. That too is still in sad contion but Mom says she is happy with it. I still want to club it with a flintstone club but unfortunatly it is the last working xp computer. I tried to get my pictures uploaded on it but with no luck. It wouldnt except my camera either. I had that problem with that computer before so it didnt surprise me. I could have got it to work if I wanted to spend more time on it but I didnt. Its time to go play in the mine. Smile

I have Ubuntu installed on a partition on my Windows 8.1 computer, but I rarely use it these days. I log into it every so often to update it, but then I exit out and reboot back into Windows 8.1.

Although there are open source programs that can do most of the things I need to work on my projects with, they are, in general, just not as good as the Windows versions of those programs that I prefer to use.

I like Kubuntu better than Ubuntu, but it has the same issues with programs that are just not good enough yet (in fact, the selection of available programs is identical to those available for Ubuntu). Also, Kubuntu has some stability issues, even worse than Ubuntu.

If I did not have the options of Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.1, I would definitely be using Ubuntu and Kubuntu more than I do now, though. Both Ubuntu and Kubuntu, and probably several other Linux based operating systems, are better options than Windows XP is for today's online world.

As for your computer situation, it will be awhile before I can help you out with that. I have some parts you can use, as I have told you, but you will need a few additional parts to make them work for you. In time, I am bound to get those additional parts for you too, but I am still trying to save up enough money to get a new clothes dryer, and pay off a huge bill from my old apartment complex. I still need to pay those dirty rats to get them off my back - but a new dryer is the first item on my list of things to pay for. I am tired of hang drying my clothes.

MACJR

I can help you with getting the parts but that is going to have to wait for me as well. I need to buy the tractor or lose it. Its only 2k so its not that bad.
To answer one of my squacks is in order for flash player or video to work with ubuntu computers these days you have to have at least a 2 GHz cpu. Mine is only about 1.6 Something like that anyway, I didnt write it down. That might not be to difficult to fix. I think this computer can handle up to a 3GHz cpu.
It appears to me that the more hard drive space you have the larger the updates get. I have seen a couple of them over 900 mb in size. Although it is not an issue at this time those huge chunks of space eating updates are slowly consuming my drive space. :/
Them huge updates are still at it but that is not my reason for this post. Using Ubuntu version 15.10 and the wine program I tried a windows game and to my surprise it worked. In fact it is working better on this version of Ubuntu then it ever did on any of the windows operating systems that I have used except windows millennium. It did work well there but that computer had a bad habit of freezing up. I was up 77 million and rising fast when it froze on me. I learned a lesson about taking screen shots with my camera at that time though. Turn off the flash if you want to see your picture. :/
I now have Ubuntu and Kubuntu installed and partly, and mostly, setup as a dual-boot system on my new (used) Gigabyte motherboard. Kubuntu has many more options that a user can configure, so it took more time to set it up, but it is the one I have spent more time with, so it is farther along than my Ubuntu setup. But since Ubuntu is more basic, far fewer customization options, it took far less time to get Ubuntu mostly setup and ready for use.

I do like Ubuntu, but I sure wish there were more options for customizing a setup to my own personal preferences, rather than some head honchos mandated inflexible layout. Ubuntu is for sardines that do not mind being all crammed together in one can, while Kubuntu if for people who are lean more towards being independent thinkers who would rather not be stuffed in any can crowded with a bunch of simple minded people.  Wink

My biggest problem with this setup, right now, is that the duel core Celeron CPU is slower than a slug in January. I am sorely tempted to slap in that 2nd generation Core i3 CPU, which would be much better, but I am trying to hold off until I can buy a quad core i5 CPU, and then upgrade this PC with that instead.

I am looking at some 3rd generation i5 CPUs now, and I might just be able to buy a used one next month, but it is iffy. The price is a bit steep on my budget, and I need to stock up on household supplies and groceries next month too. I had planned to restock this month, but that plan was blown out the window when I had to buy a second used motherboard, after a BIOS update killed the first one.

Well, time to shut this PC off for the day, and go relax for the evening.

MACJR - as Supernovadust
Ubuntu 15.10 was working fine, so I saw no reason not to let it upgrade to 16.04. BIG Mistake!

The upgrade was a spectacular failure. Furthermore, since Ubuntu 16.04 failed while still in the process of upgrading, which hung the system, it completely ruined any chance of reverting back to Ubuntu 15.10. It completely mucked things up.

Worse, I still have not been able to get any version of Ubuntu to reinstall on that Gigabyte machine. I think there may be a combination of things going on here that are all contributing to a major PC induced headache.

1. I think the power supply unit (the first one, not the second one that was lost, or delayed, in shipping), may have gone bad. Either that, or the Gigabyte motherboard, itself, has gone flakey. Either the power supply is not providing consistent power to the hard drive, or the motherboard is not recognizing the hard drive consistently. Switching power plugs did seem to help, which indicates it may be the power supply, rather than the motherboard though. Even after switching the power plug to the hard drive, though, there was at least one more time that the hard drive was not being detected. So I still cannot rule out the possibility that the motherboard is bad.

2. It may be that the hard drive I changed into the case after Ubuntu first crashed is not compatible with a UEFI BIOS setup. I can get that hard drive to install Kubuntu 15.10 on an older,regular, BIOS system, but I cannot get anything to install on that hard drive in an UEFI BIOS setup. I can turn UEFI off, but that is a last resort.

At first, I thought it was the first hard drive that had gone bad, in mid-Ubuntu-upgrade. But when I had nothing but problems trying to install a fresh burn of Ubuntu 16.04, on a larger hard drive, I thought maybe both hard drives had gone bad. But the larger hard drive tests as good, and did get a clean install of Kubuntu 15.10 on it before I put it back in the Gigabyte machine. Thinking things were looking up, I tried to install Kubuntu 16.04 over that fresh Kubuntu 15.10 install, but that failed, and every further attempt has failed. So either that hard drive is not able to work with UEFI, or the Gigabyte motherboard has gone bad, or the power supply has turned to junk (after a very short time - I have only had it for about two months).

I started fighting these issues yesterday afternoon, and have only narrowed down the possibilities of what went wrong today. It is probably not the hard drives that are the problem. Now to find out whether it is the power supply, or the motherboard that are the real problem. Since the only spare power supply units I have right now are of the same type, from the same eBay seller, I do not trust them to test anything with right now. I will have to wait until I can buy a new PSU from one of the larger parts dealers that I trust to sell me genuine parts.

Right now, I feel that I am done buying used motherboards. If this Gigabyte motherboard has already gone bad... well, I very much hate throwing my money away like that, damn it. There are times when I do need an older type motherboard, to put together a PC compatible with older software and hardware, but I am getting mighty fed-up with the crap I am getting from eBay these days. I have never before been burned with as many consecutive purchases from eBay, as I have been burned with lately. There are a larger sellers on eBay that I do still trust, but most of the smaller sellers seem to be burning my ass off right now. Enough of that!

As for that Gigabyte motherboard PC, it will have to sit for awhile. Blast it. I have to say, right now, Gigabyte is not may favorite brand of motherboard. This latest issue was not the first set of hassles I have had with it. Getting the settings right, in their UEFI BIOS, is a pain. It is far more of a challenge than my ASUS motherboard with the UEFI BIOS, but then, that ASUS motherboard was built with all new, quality brand, parts (but I just remembered, I did have that large hard drive, I mentioned above, working in my main ASUS PC, at first, so that hard drive is able to work with a UEFI BIOS setup). I have also done more re-configuring with the Gigabyte motherboard. Testing this and that. While my newest ASUS motherboard has been left the same as when I first set it up, other than to replace a used hard drive for a new one. While the Gigabyte motherboard has only had used parts to work with. Also, the Gigabyte is an older motherboard, while my ASUS motherboard, that I bought brand new, is still relatively new.

Who knows the load that Gigabyte motherboard has already endured, before it came here for me to play with.

Anyway, I still have not had a chance to see the latest versions of Ubuntu or Kubuntu. I may have to swap out one of my main hard drives, on one of my main computers, with a test hard drive so I can finally see what the new Ubuntu and Kubuntu are about. I may use my backup computer again, since it was able to successfully reinstall Kubuntu 15.10 on one of those hard drives that were suspected as possibly bad. That may be tomorrows project.

MACJR
Update on my Ubuntu situation. I seem to have things working now. I finally have Ubuntu 16.04 LTS running on my Gigabyte motherboard PC.

It turns out that the hard drive that I thought was good, that had tested as good, was not good after all. Ubuntu kept telling me it was bad, in an indirect way (by not installing and not working on that hard drive), but the Seagate SeaTools diagnostics tested that hard drive as good. But after two days of banging my head against this Ubuntu problem, not being sure if it was indeed one or two bad hard drives, or  a bad motherboard, or a bad power supply, or all three, I tested the replacement hard drive again. This time, there were errors. Although the test offers to fix the errors, and I did click fix, it turns out that the errors were not fixed, and finally, the HDD just stopped working altogether. Bummer. That was one of my larger hard drives, but I have had that one for a while, and it served me well for the past few years. Now, it is just a paperweight.

Oddly, the first hard drive, the one that had a failed Ubuntu upgrade on it, well, that hard drive turns out not to be bad. I had pulled that one early on because it was making odd sounds. That is why I switched to that other hard drive, in the first place (at the time, the replacement HDD "was" known to be a good hard drive).

I also suspect that the one or two of the new power supply's plugs are also a real issue. They may have caused the first failed Ubuntu install issue. The first hard drive was not getting consistent power levels, and maybe that was what was causing the odd sounds, and why the Ubuntu upgrade failed. That hard drive is now connected to a different power plug, one that  seems to be giving the hard drive a more consistent level of power to work with, and that allowed a re-install of Ubuntu to install correctly. I didn't even lose my previous setup. The reinstall finished the upgrade process, that had been rudely interrupted, so all the software and settings I had done previously are still there. Even my high scores in Shisen-Sho are still there. Cool then.  Smile

At least the Gigabyte motherboard is still good. It turns out that all of the UEFI BIOS settings adjustments I made were a waste of time, because they were never the issue. It was just a bad power plug, and a bad replacement hard drive that compounded the problem.

Anyway, all is well now.

MACJR