Quilling
I wasnt too sure which category to put this in Smile

I like to make my own greeting cards and have recently discovered quilling, which is done with tiny paper strips and made into various shapes and things. I was wondering if anyone else on the board does quilling and may have any tips for someone who has only just discovered it?
The quilling tool didnt really have any instructions with it, neither did the board I also got to go with it, but theres all sorts of shapes and pins on there.
Time-Dragons Wrote:I wasnt too sure which category to put this in Smile

I like to make my own greeting cards and have recently discovered quilling, which is done with tiny paper strips and made into various shapes and things. I was wondering if anyone else on the board does quilling and may have any tips for someone who has only just discovered it?
The quilling tool didnt really have any instructions with it, neither did the board I also got to go with it, but theres all sorts of shapes and pins on there.

I moved this thread from Model Making to Crafts. The crafts category is very general, so if you are not sure about what crafts related category something belongs in, just post it in here. Smile

I had to look up what quilling is. Although a person could make a case for calling quilling model making, I think it fits better in a general category. However, if enough people start talking about quilling, I will create a quilling forum. I may eventually make a macramé category too. Although it has been many years since I last made anything with macramé, in the past, I made many plant hangers for family and friends. In fact, the macramé plant hangers seen in some of my plant pictures are my work.

Now, about lack of instructions, or instructions so vague as to be worthless, that has become a real problem here in the US over the last decade or two, too. I hate that. Products that need (understandable) instructions sheets, or manuals, should come with (understandable) instruction sheets, or manuals. Products manufactures should not make their customers go online to search for information that may, or may not, be there.

Business today is all about profits for the rich… and to hell with the consumer after they have paid. Business is no longer concerned with making quality products that make people happy or providing instructions on how to use those products once purchased. Business today is about making things as cheaply as possible and cutting out all extras, and even eliminating things that should NOT be considered extras, like (understandable) instructions sheets and manuals.

Sorry about drifting into a rant here, it is just that this issue (like so many capitalistic business related topics) gets my blood boiling. I have had that lack of instructions (and too cheaply made products) problem way too many times over the last decade.

MACJR
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage of the MythBusters
Thats ok about the rant Icon_lol I quite agree with you about lack of instructions. Even though I am bumbling about with filling the shape slots up on the board, its very frustrating not knowing how to connect them up into things that resemble pictures.
I got interested in trying quilling originally when someone made me a card with some really nice quilled patterns on it but I have no idea how it was done. The packaging only gave a list of the products available and no instruction on how to do the stuff Sad