MACJR Macramé samples
#1
Below are a few pictures of my macramé work.

Back in 2011, I dug out my macramé supplies, that I had had long buried in a closet, to see what all I had. I found that I did indeed have enough stuff to make at least a couple of new plant hangers. That was good, because that is exactly what I had wanted to do, make a few new macramé plant hangers. It had been a long time since my last session with macramé, and I had had an itch to play with rope again (no, nothing kinky, get your mind out of the gutter).

Among the macramé supplies, I found an unfinished hanger that I probably started back in 1987, or maybe back in the early 1990s (which was the last time I had worked with rope before 2011). I had not finished that hanger because I did not have enough aquamarine, or whatever color rope that is, to make the top and bottom knots. I had all the rope measured out, cut, and looped through a ring, but had not tied a single knot in it. I decided to use that unfinished hanger to refresh myself on macramé again. Although I did not have the right color of rope to do the wrap knots with, I did have some extra green rope scraps I could use. I figured that would have to do, and after all, this was just for practice, it did not have to look pretty. The garish looking two-tone hanger pictured below is the results of that practice session. One thing of note about that hanger is that I tried something different for the top tie knots. I had seen how some people start their hangers by tying square knots for a few inches, then folding that stretch of knots in half with a brass ring in the center, and then do the top knot under that. I never liked how that looked, but it did give me an idea to try something a little different. I decided to loop the rope through the brash ring, as I always have in the past, but this time, do a stretch of square knots before doing the top knot. I liked the results so much that I used this method with all, or most, of the hangers that I made after that. That flat section is handy for grasping the hanger to unhook, or hook, or rotate the plant hanger.

Not pictured are my next two hangers. They were experimental hangers using inferior rope and misc beads and such. They turned out interesting, but not worth showing. However, those experimental hangers did inspire aspects of the next several hangers I made, and I am showing some of those. I was still using old, rather ancient even, jute for the two biggest hangers shown below, but at least the new beads that I had ordered came in. Finding good macramé beads and supplies is very difficult these days, I could not find much of anything worth using in the local craft stores, so had to order most of my beads and brass rings online. I had a bucket full of old beads, but I didn’t like any of them. Those old beads were all too 1970s (some of them literally) for what I wanted to do.

I only had enough quarter-inch jute for two hangers. After that, all could find in the local stores was much thinner jute, unless I wanted to pay a firkin fortune for a large role of thicker jute, which is what I had wanted to work with. Although I was not sure about using such thin jute for a hanger, the stuff was in my price range, so I bought some. It turns out that the thinner jute worked out great for medium-sized plant hangers. It was also easier to work with. I had to buy a batch of smaller beads for the thinner rope though, but blast it, these beads were for even thinner rope, so I had to re-bore the bead holes to the right size, for each and every one of them. Anyway, they were good beads, in spite of the extra work it took to use them.

I also tried a role of hemp rope for one of the hangers pictured below. That is the waxy looking hanger. I believe the hemp was waxed, which was more a negative than positive for my preferences. The stuff was hard, and that made it hard to shape most of the knots. Although, it was actually better for some other knots, which held their shape better than un-waxed rope does. Those knots did look better, with that waxy hemp rope. Still, I would rather not buy this stuff again. Natural jute is far more to my preferences. Although, hemp is closely related to jute, from what I have read, so if I can find some hemp without the wax added, I might try using that, at least once.

The last picture, I believe, is of the last macramé hanger I started, back in 2011, but never finished. I did get farther along than is shown though. I was down to the basket area of the hanger when I had to take care of a few other things, and I just never got back to it. It was time to move on to other projects. It sure had been fun playing with the rope again though.

I look forward to another session with rope at some point in the future. I do not know just when though. I am not allowed to install ceiling hooks into the ceiling of my current apartment. Bummer, that. It is not at all practical to work on macramé plant hangers if you can’t hand your rope to work with it. Perhaps I can rig something up sometime down the road, but it will be a long while. I still need to get more shelving, finish unpacking, and do a long list of other things, before I can think about doing macramé again.

Oh well.

MACJR


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
                                   
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage of the MythBusters
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)