Board News
Exclamation 
The Miniverse Forums will be down for maintenance tomorrow at about 10 AM Pacific Time (1 PM Eastern). Please do not try to log in or post any messages until the board re-opens.

I will be installing a minor message board update. This should not take more than a half hour or so.

Once the maintenance update is done, and the board is open again, I might also do some tinkering under the hood. You may see a few flaky things happening as I make some adjustments. Do not be alarmed, if I break it, I will fix it.  Wink

MACJR
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage of the MythBusters
It turns out that I cannot get to that board update today.

My apartment management scheduled installing CO2 detectors today, between 9 AM and 4 PM. I just found the 48 hour entry notice this morning, and naturally, the scheduled event is for today.

Since I have no idea what time maintenance will actually get to my apartment, and the time range is, roughly, my entire work day, and I do not like being interrupted when in the middle of working on a board update, and/or working with under the hood stuff, I will start work on this project tomorrow morning at 10 AM (Pacific Time).

MACJR
This board has been successfully updated to the latest version.

Over the next few days, I plan to do some playing under the hood. I still need to install updates for two other boards, so I might not get to the under the hood stuff for this board today.

MACJR
Exclamation 
This board will be going into maintenance mode at 11 AM Pacific Time (2 PM Eastern).

The board will be closed for approximately one hour, or less, so I can install the latest message board software update.

MACJR
(01-04-2013, 10:01 AM)MACJR Wrote: This board will be going into maintenance mode at 11 AM Pacific Time (2 PM Eastern).

The board will be closed for approximately one hour, or less, so I can install the latest message board software update.

MACJR

The board update seems to have been successful and all seems well.

Let me know if you spot any issues though.

I was not expecting to do a board update today, but I discovered that there were some important issues that a new board software update fixes and that this needed to be dealt with ASAP.

MACJR
This message board is now two updates behind. I have a decision to make before I install the latest updates to this board though. One, do I want to update the backup board, or discontinue it? Two, if I chose to discontinue the previous version of the Miniverse Forum, should I merge it with this forum so I do not lose all the old posts and content from that older board?

If I decide to merge the backup board with this message board, it would be best to backup and then delete this board, then do a completely fresh install of the board software, then merge this board's data and the backup board's date into a new incarnation of this board. That is a lot of work, but it may be the best way to go about it.

One big reason, for me, to delete the old board is that it too needs a software update, and sometimes I feel swamped with all the extra work that needs done when multiple boards need updated. Consolidating boards make more sense to me, even though there are some aspects of the old board's software that I like, I do like this board's software better.

I am now ready to get to work on this, whatever it is I decide to do. I plan to start work on this within the next day or two.

Will anyone miss the backup board if I delete it and merge its data into a new incarnation of this board?

MACJR
(12-04-2013, 11:21 AM)MACJR Wrote: This message board is now two updates behind. I have a decision to make before I install the latest updates to this board though. One, do I want to update the backup board, or discontinue it? Two, if I chose to discontinue the previous version of the Miniverse Forum, should I merge it with this forum so I do not lose all the old posts and content from that older board?

If I decide to merge the backup board with this message board, it would be best to backup and then delete this board, then do a completely fresh install of the board software, then merge this board's data and the backup board's date into a new incarnation of this board. That is a lot of work, but it may be the best way to go about it.

One big reason, for me, to delete the old board is that it too needs a software update, and sometimes I feel swamped with all the extra work that needs done when multiple boards need updated. Consolidating boards make more sense to me, even though there are some aspects of the old board's software that I like, I do like this board's software better.

I am now ready to get to work on this, whatever it is I decide to do. I plan to start work on this within the next day or two.

Will anyone miss the backup board if I delete it and merge its data into a new incarnation of this board?

MACJR

Do what you think is best. Its been pretty quiet lately so now might be a good time to work on it. Smile
If it is easier just to delete the old board, I'm fine with that. I can't think of any earthshattering posts that I may have made. I'll leave the decision in your capable hands.
(12-05-2013, 04:05 AM)nannyjo Wrote: If it is easier just to delete the old board, I'm fine with that. I can't think of any earthshattering posts that I may have made. I'll leave the decision in your capable hands.

Okay, I will start work on this soon, as within the next couple of days. I had intended to start on this today or tomorrow, but I have a couple of issue that popped up. One, a needed software package is not working because of a conflict that I have to track down and fix. Two, a HUGE bill just came in and I have to figure out how I am going to pay for it. Looks like it may be a very long time before I can get a new dryer. Bummer, that.

I do not need that software package to work to do the planned board merger project though. It is something that I will need working at some point soon, for other projects, and that software can be helpful, but not essential, when working with certain board elements too.

Looking up my software issue, I see that many people are having this same problem. So far, I have not found anyone showing how they solved this problem, or saying that they did solve this problem.

Okay, Microsoft, what did you do now that throws a monkey wrench into the open source program I need? Disclaimer, Microsoft might not have caused this problem. However, they are my prime suspects right now.

MACJR
As some of you may know, I had planned to discontinue this version of the message board and start a new one somewhere else on my web site. Well, it turns out that this board is not closing after all. I was not at all pleased with the results of merging two message boards, this one, and an older version of this board, into one new board.

Mostly, the merging process was acceptable. However, because the older version of this board is using different forum software, there was a lot of formatting issue that would need taken care of, but this was not the main reason I aborted work on the new board. It was the loss of archived PMs (Personal Messages) that I found unacceptable. I like to keep archives of everything, including old PMs.

Thus, until the MyBB software makers come out with a better version of their merging software, I am keeping this board, and the old one, separate and alive.

Since this board is to remain in use, I have installed the most recent updates to this board’s software. This board is now ready for use again.

I will re-open, for viewing, the older version of this board soon, after I update its software, but that board is to remain just a backup board.

MACJR
I put off updating the boards software so long last time, now that have I recently done that board software update, it is now time to install the next board software update.

I will be closing the board for a maintenance update Saturday 11, 2014.

As long as the installation goes well, the board should only be closed for about a half hour.

I have found that once I have all the board update software downloaded to my computer, it usually takes less than a half hour to upload the files to the board and install the update. The rest of the time is spent checking to see that everything installed correctly, and to see that the board is working properly.

MyBB updates their software more often than any other board software I have tried. Although this makes for extra work for me, it does help to keep this board secure and safer to use. That works for me.

MACJR
There was a bit of an oops event when I installed the board update, but fortunately, it was only a stumble, and not a fatal fall.

Although this was not the smoothest update I have ever done, all seems well now. I do not think any data was lost.

Next time, remind me not to accidentally skip a step when installing an update! Wink

MACJR
I updated the board today. The update seems to have installed without any problems to report.

In the past, I have scheduled these update events in advance, but for security reasons, I have decided not to post a notice beforehand anymore.

From now on, I will just wait for a slow time on the board, so as not to disrupt too many visitors, and then close the board for maintenance while I install these updates. I do apologize to those who are inevitably caught in the midst of cruising the board when it goes down for maintenance.

Most of the work for these updates is done in preparation for the event. If all goes well, the update installation, itself, only takes a few minutes.

Except for those times when I run into unexpected problem, these board updates usually only require the board to be closed for 10 to 15 minutes, or less. If all goes well, as it did this time, it can take about 5 minutes to install a board update.

Some visitors may never have even known that the board was down, while they were reading a cached thread of posts in their web browser.

MACJR
A few days ago, I installed a MyBB Upgrade to this message board. That installation process did not go well, and it took a couple of days to fix a few major issues that developed from that Board upgrade. I did eventually solve all of the installation problems, and got this board working again, but it sure was a hassle getting things working again.

However, there is one issue that I still have not fixed yet. My custom themes for this message board no longer work well with this new forum software design. I will have to rebuild my custom themes from scratch. Designing new themes for this board will take some time, but I plan to get started making new themes for this board within the next few days. I do not know how long it will take before my new themes will be ready, but building those new themes, and plugging them into this newly upgrades board, is my top priority right now.

I do like this new MyBB forum software. Although it was a major hassle to get this message board upgrade working, now that everything is working (except for my custom themes), I like what I see. There were several major improvements to the MyBB forum software, some of which those familiar with this board can see. As the administrator of this board, there were also several "under the hood" improvements that please me. For example, I now have more tools to deal with spammers.

Now, it is time to get started on making new custom themes for this board!

MACJR
Welcome to the 4th incarnation of MACJR'S Mini-Verse² Forums.

This version of The Board was built on the latest MyBB forum software, here at its new home domain, mini-verse.com. I then merged in the last two versions of this board into one, on this new board.

The first several days after the merger, was spent doing cleanup work, and fixing issues, like file attachments that did not import from the old board, so I had to re-install and re-connect them all manually.

Over the last few days, I have been building a new, MMVSF (MACJR'S Mini-Verse² Forums) Brown theme. The very first board theme that I designed, for my very first message board, was a brown theme. Like a board in space kind of thing. I do plan to re-create my blue themes, like those I created for the last two versions of this board, but that will have to wait. I have other things to get to first, like finishing up work over at my macjr.com site. I do have one of two blue themes started though, but that project is hidden from everyone until it is ready to show.

If you do not like my new brown theme, there are some basic default themes available. Just check out the pop-up menu on the forums bottom, right side, menu bar (near the bottom of the page). Those are basic MyBB themes, that have only been lightly customized for this Board's identity, and consistency needs.

By the way, I have added a bunch of new smilies to this board. The new smilies collection is a mix of smilies from three different incarnations of this message board (built on, in order, Website Toolbox, phpBB, and MyBB forum software), and a few I downloaded from a MyBB downloads page, and a complimentary set from my website hosting service, DirectNIC.

There were too many smilies to use them all, so I selected the ones that I liked best, and the ones that members have used in the past. There is also a set of extra-large smilies, but I am not sure I will keep those. They may be slowing down the loading of the post reply pages. For now, I will leave them to test things for a bit and see if people are willing to put up with the lag-time for post reply pages. If people do not like that, then I will remove those extra-large smilies.

Until then, look around, have fun, and let me know what you think of this New Board.

MACJR

Xl_cool