Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Weight Room
I am making fair progress with my workouts. I can already feel my chest and arm muscles toning up and my endurance increasing. My leg muscles are also firming up.

I switched to the next heavier set of weights and pushed a little harder this time, but I do not think I will get sore. It is still early in the toning up process so there is still a chance of sore muscles tomorrow though.

I do need to pick up some glucosamine. I have been out for several months; the stuff is not cheap on my budget, so I have skipped it. My joints do better with glucosamine though, and now that I am working out again, the stuff is a necessity. The weights put a lot of extra stress on the joints, and surprise, they complain about that. Getting older can be a pain… quite literally.

Well, Lost will be starting here in a few minutes so I will stop rambling on for now. Wink

MACJR
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage of the MythBusters
The workouts are progressing along well. I am now up to hour-long workout sessions.

At first, I started out with the 8 lb. weights. The 8 lb. weights are light for me even when I am out of shape so I usually only use them for the first few session and then go to my next heavier set of weights, the 12.5 lb weights. Now those, I feel quite a bit at first. Those extra 4.5 lbs make a big jump up when you are first toning up. In fact, I had to cut down the reps (repetitions) from 15 to 12 per set. That is how I do it anyway, the heavier the weights I go to, the lower the rep count. This takes the weight workouts from toning (with more reps per set) to muscle building (lower rep counts per set with heavier weights).

I am still working with the 12.5 lb weights but they are much easier to work with now. I will wait a bit longer before going up to the next set of weights to make sure I do not push my aging body too far too fast. The next heavier weights I will work with are the 17.5 lb dumbbells. I will feel that extra 5 lbs when I get to them, too.

A few years back, I was up to my 27.5 lb dumbbell set, but it will take a while to get back to those. Although, it will not take too much longer to start using them in certain workout sets that I am stronger in, now and then, before I start using them to curl and hammer with.

So far, my health is holding up. The only annoying things I am dealing with are some sore joints now and then, a bad disk in my back that acts up now and then, and I have been coughing up old gunk that has been worked lose from the deeper parts of my lungs from breathing hard during workouts.

MACJR
Well, with vacation, I pretty much took the entire month of May off. But I tried to get back on the diet and exercize regime this week. I have to admit, I did better with the exercize part than the diet so far. I guess I got a little too used to eating the "forbiddin foods" last month.

Honestly, though, my goal was never to DIET in the no fun, make me and everyone around me miserable kind of way. I still love certain things and think life is too short to give up ALL the good things. I just need to get back to the "Moderation" frame of mind.

onward and upward!
nannyjo Wrote:Well, with vacation, I pretty much took the entire month of May off. But I tried to get back on the diet and exercize regime this week. I have to admit, I did better with the exercize part than the diet so far. I guess I got a little too used to eating the "forbiddin foods" last month.

Honestly, though, my goal was never to DIET in the no fun, make me and everyone around me miserable kind of way. I still love certain things and think life is too short to give up ALL the good things. I just need to get back to the "Moderation" frame of mind.

onward and upward!

I do miss cocoa coffee but I was never too much into junk food. Not that I did not go on a chocolate or ice cream craving streak from time to time, mind you. It is just that I did not need those sweets all the time. My biggest problem is with the pastas and potatoes. Wink

Because of my diabetes, I do have to stay away from the junk food and do my best to keep the pastas and potatoes under control these days. Better control of portion sizes, and what I eat, is helping some with my waistline, and is definitely helping with my glucose readings.

As for my workouts, I have been sticking with them. I still have a good amount of padding around my belly and other areas, but under that padding, I am getting solid. My energy and stamina levels are way up right now.

I had been so out of shape last winter that I found my garage door a bit heavy. That was odd for me. This loss of lifting power was one of the things that finally made me get back into working out. Now, I have to be careful not to open the garage door too fast, or with too much energy... in fear that I might force the wheals right out of their tracks and cause the door to fall down onto the roof of my car. Not kidding either. Wink

MACJR
MACJR Wrote:I had been so out of shape last winter that I found my garage door a bit heavy. That was odd for me. This loss of lifting power was one of the things that finally made me get back into working out. Now, I have to be careful not to open the garage door too fast, or with too much energy... in fear that I might force the wheals right out of their tracks and cause the door to fall down onto the roof of my car. Not kidding either. Wink

MACJR

Roflol. Good for you MAC.

I haven't been working out but so far two weeks into summer I think I'm getting enough of a workout at work. So far this year I've dropped 30 pounds. Still more to shoot for but, like you, my energy levels have gone up.
Paid a visit to a chiropractor today (wanted a 2nd opinion) and he agreed with the first one, I DO have 'Military Neck' (the bones of the neck are STRAIGHT rather than slightly curved) and, sniff, I have a couple of segments in my back slowly fusing themselves together! So, until I begin getting treated, I can no long THINK about sit-ups (yes, I had planned to start since I am going on vacation in mid July). Nor can I begin walking since my hips, as a result of the back problems, are not 'level' or whatever it's called, is so out of alignment that one leg is 'shorter' than the other by 3/4 inches! Woah

As if MS wasn't enough for me, eh?
Questmaker Wrote:
MACJR Wrote:I had been so out of shape last winter that I found my garage door a bit heavy. That was odd for me. This loss of lifting power was one of the things that finally made me get back into working out. Now, I have to be careful not to open the garage door too fast, or with too much energy... in fear that I might force the wheals right out of their tracks and cause the door to fall down onto the roof of my car. Not kidding either. Wink

MACJR

Roflol. Good for you MAC.

I haven't been working out but so far two weeks into summer I think I'm getting enough of a workout at work. So far this year I've dropped 30 pounds. Still more to shoot for but, like you, my energy levels have gone up.

My waistline has decreased by about three or four inches since I started working out again, but my weight has not gone down as much. I did drop about 15 lbs at first, but then my weight leveled off at 245, and has hovered between 240 and 245 for the last couple of months.

My belly may be shrinking, but my calf muscles, chest, triceps, biceps, and several other muscle groups, are all getting bigger and denser. Wink

MACJR
walterth3rd Wrote:Paid a visit to a chiropractor today (wanted a 2nd opinion) and he agreed with the first one, I DO have 'Military Neck' (the bones of the neck are STRAIGHT rather than slightly curved) and, sniff, I have a couple of segments in my back slowly fusing themselves together! So, until I begin getting treated, I can no long THINK about sit-ups (yes, I had planned to start since I am going on vacation in mid July). Nor can I begin walking since my hips, as a result of the back problems, are not 'level' or whatever it's called, is so out of alignment that one leg is 'shorter' than the other by 3/4 inches! Woah

I have that straight neck problem too. I didn't know it had a nickname though. Any idea why they call it Military Neck?" I am not sure exactly what caused my neck to straighten out but I do remember a few painful events that might have caused it... and I can't blame any of them on the military.

I did bugger up my back in the military though. That causes me some discomfort from time to time (actually, most of the time) but I can still work out, and even do sit-ups and such.

MACJR
MACJR Wrote:
walterth3rd Wrote:Paid a visit to a chiropractor today (wanted a 2nd opinion) and he agreed with the first one, I DO have 'Military Neck' (the bones of the neck are STRAIGHT rather than slightly curved) and, sniff, I have a couple of segments in my back slowly fusing themselves together! So, until I begin getting treated, I can no long THINK about sit-ups (yes, I had planned to start since I am going on vacation in mid July). Nor can I begin walking since my hips, as a result of the back problems, are not 'level' or whatever it's called, is so out of alignment that one leg is 'shorter' than the other by 3/4 inches! Woah

I have that straight neck problem too. I didn't know it had a nickname though. Any idea why they call it Military Neck?" I am not sure exactly what caused my neck to straighten out but I do remember a few painful events that might have caused it... and I can't blame any of them on the military.

I did bugger up my back in the military though. That causes me some discomfort from time to time (actually, most of the time) but I can still work out, and even do sit-ups and such.

MACJR

It gained that moniker from the military 'requirement' of carrying HEAVY backpacks EVERYWHERE they marched! It can also be seen in students carrying that same sort of weight on their backs. It is also formed from the sitting position held by using the computer (laptops are worse, but 'regular' desktops are the same)! Also can form from sitting long stretches in front of a TV or not taking walks to 'straighten out' the back and neck once in awhile! (of course, going to see a chiropractor doesn't hurt, once in awhile either!)
Well, I am still sticking to a regular workout schedule. This is the longest stretch of working out that I have achieved in a few years, and I am feeling good these days.

I did push a little too hard a little too fast a few weeks ago though. I ended up having to take a few days off from workouts. I did not let myself wait too long though. I started working out again a few days later... but with lighter weights and at a slower pace. I had put too much strain on my neck muscles and ended up with a throbbing head the next day when I was doing something that was only mildly strenuous. For about a week or so after, even light strains of those neck muscles were causing throbbing headaches that lingered for a long while.

I am now back to full-throttle workouts and almost ready to get back to the heavier weights. I am more careful about pushing too hard, too fast, now. I also work out every other day, and alternate between weight workouts and non-weight workouts, so that the dumbbells do not get used too often in one week... and it was that I was not spacing the weight workout sessions far enough apart that led to the throbbing head problem. Now that the weights sessions are spaced out better, my body has more time to recover, so things are working out much better now.

I try hard to not get too carried away with my workouts, but it is hard to hold back sometimes. Those throbbing headaches were a good incentive to be more careful though. Wink

It also turns out that I had underestimated the amount of weight I have been pumping. I thought the dumbbell bars (the bars that hold the iron plates) were only about two and a half pounds each, but they are actually five pounds each. The 27.5 lb weight arrangement is actually a 30 lb weight arrangement (the ones that did me in because I was not quite ready for them, for what I was doing with them).

Anyway, even though there was that short setback, everything is going fine now. I am hoping to get a bench press and barbell set sometime next year. My arms are getting rather beefy now, so is my chest, but I want to get more definition in the chest area.

MACJR
Good for you Mac. I've been thinking of walking the halls at school after I get done with work if I'm not too beat. The fact that you are sticking to your workouts will help inspire me to not make excuses and just do it.
hello my fellow gym enthusiasts!!
I go to the gym 4 days a week training each muscle group per day, then yoga everyother day. Might have to start doing cardio more. I feel oddly out of breath in my old age Smile lol
cybnetic Wrote:hello my fellow gym enthusiasts!!
I go to the gym 4 days a week training each muscle group per day, then yoga everyother day. Might have to start doing cardio more. I feel oddly out of breath in my old age Smile lol

I workout at home, in my living room, but I do wish I had more equipment to workout with. A gym would be nice, but I just do not get out of the apartment enough for that.

Since recovering enough from my triple bypass surgery to start working out again, I have been making good progress in getting back into shape, but the other day, on my 2nd month anniversary after surgery date, I pulled a muscle in my lower back. That made me forget all about any residual pain from the surgery . The new pain was very intense for several days. Actually, that muscles is still complaining, and I still have to be careful with it, but I am back to working out now. However, I am skipping some of the routines that would stress my lower back, for now.

All I can say is, that when you have one leg out at a horizontal angle, resting on a cat scratching post, so you can stretch to warm up for a workout, do not get distracted by the TV behind you while reaching for your toes. Wink

Oh that hurt!

I am working in more cardio, as well, Cyb.

MACJR