(Old phpBB) Board Upgrade News
*** This Thread is Closed. This was for a previous incarnation of The Board. I am keeping this thread around for archival purposes only. ***

The board software that I currently use for this board is called phpBB, which is an open source, program that can be used, and customized to suit, by anyone who has the time, inclination, ability, and a web host to run a message board on. Best of all, phpBB is free. However, all the work to setup, manage, and customize phpBB, that does cost a lot of time and effort.

If you would like more information about phpBB, and running your own board, feel free to contact me, or check out the official phpBB website.

Currently, this board is running on phpBB version 3.0.4. Today, I discovered that there is a newer version of phpBB, version 3.0.5, available. I tend to operate in my own space-time, in my own mini-verse, you might say, so it is hard for me to set an exact time and date for a specific event in our shared common reality, but I am currently planning to do this board backup and upgrade on Sunday, July 19, 2009.

This board will be closed during the backup and upgrade process. I request that all moderators resist logging into the board if they see a notice stating, “This board is temporarily closed for maintenance.” Please wait until the board opens in the standard way, to the main forum page, before attempting to log in again.

I do not know how long this backup and upgrade process will take.

The phpBB version upgrade promises a long list of bug fixes, and a few board improvements. I am not sure how this upgrade will affect my board customizations. I hope to avoid having to start all over, from the beginning, but if that is the price of the bug fixes (and this board does have many bugs), I will do it.

MACJR
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage of the MythBusters
Update: I was not able to squeeze in the planned board backup and upgrade today.

The new date for the backup and upgrade is set for Wednesday, July 22, 2009.

MACJR
Okey dokey.... will we need to do anything differently after that?
nannyjo Wrote:Okey dokey.... will we need to do anything differently after that?

Not if the upgrade works as advertised. Wink

From what I have read though, there is a potential for things to go horribly wrong during the upgrade process. Thus, the board backup... before the board upgrade.

If all else fails, we can always go back to the old board. I am thinking about possibly keeping the old board online as a backup board site anyway.

MACJR
I have a possibly silly question... Did it work?
nannyjo Wrote:I have a possibly silly question... Did it work?

Sorry, I still have not gotten to that board backup and upgrade yet. This is exactly why I hate setting deadlines. Something always comes up.

I may just pick a time when I have the time and do it, then tell ya all that it has been done. Wink

Anyway, any time between now and then, if you see that the board is down for a while, that may be when I am actually doing that board backup and upgrade.

MACJR
cool! I didn't mean to creat any pressure or anything - Just wasn't sure if I was supposed to be seeing anything different. You know I still have the company's computer with the old version of explorer and I just wasn't to make sure I didn't miss something good Smile
I finally did that board update... that I kept putting off.

It looks like the update went well but let me know if any of you run into any problems. I will be checking things out over the next few days, as well.

I may actually get back to work on polishing my custom skin for this board over the next few days, too.

MACJR
I logged in ok so that's all good. LOL
I have just installed another board update, but I have yet to find anything different.

By the way, I had closed this board for the last several months for two reasons. One, a lack of activity, and two, the bigger reason, too many blasted bots trying to create accounts here. Those bugger bots just keep filling up my inbox when this board is open for business.

Not all bots are bad, but the ones I am having trouble with are. All the bad bots want to do is create accounts, and have me activate them, so they can fill this board up with spam. I will not allow that!

I can usually tell when it is a bot trying to get an account activated here. It is possible that I will mistakenly delete a real person if your nick is too bot-like, so please contact me if you are a real person and you are having a problem getting an account activated at this board.

If no one uses this board, it really is not worth my time and effort to keep deleting all those blasted bot e-mail attempts to activate an accounts on this board.

Still, I do like having a board and friends who can have access to it when they want to post. Thus, the board is now open again... and already, within the first hour of this board being reopened, I have had to delete a bot's attempt to have an account activated.

MACJR
I just finished updating the the board from version 3.0.8 to version 3.0.9. This was all, or mostly, "under the hood" stuff so everything should look and work about the same as it did before.

I may do more work on the board over the next few days. If I do, the next changes should be noticeable.

MACJR
Success!

It was a hard fought battle, but I have just finished moving this board from one website host, to another. I am still doing business with the same company, but this is a much better hosting plan.

I had numerous issues to deal with to get this board up and running again, but it seems to be working now.

MACJR
The old phpBB board, which was the second version of MACJR'S Mini-Verse² Forums, has been deleted. All of its contents were merged in with the 3rd version of the Mini-Verse Forums, which was then merged into this latest version of the Mini-Verse Forums.

The only two version of MACJR'S Mini-Verse² Forums (MMVSF for short) still online are the original version, and this 4th version.

The original MMVSF is still online, but in archive mode - and may one day be reopened.

This 4th version of MMVSF is all but in archive mode now, since no one participates here anymore.

I may try a new message board in the near future, with a different layout and topic focus, and possibly using a different forum software package.

It may be time to give up on this board, and try something different.

MACJR