UPS - United Parcel Service
On March 15, 2016, I received a package from Amazon.com with a hard drive that I had ordered about a week before. I was busy that day, so it was not until the next day that I discovered that the hard drive was DOA (Dead On Arrival). This is the second, in a row, hard drive that I ordered from Amazon.com that was DOA, but I had discovered that the first HDD (Hard Disk Drive) was dead too late to return it to Amazon.com (they only allow 30 days to return merchandise, but I had set the hard drive on a shelf for later use, and thus, found out that it was dead a few months too late).

It now stands that two, out of three, hard drives that I have bought from Amazon.com arrived in non-working condition. The first one arrived in good condition and is still working fine. However, the next two hard drives did not work, at all. These dead hard drives looked fine, but they could not be detected by a computer, and if a computer cannot even see the drive, it cannot format it, and a hard drive that cannot be formulated is useless.

However, the issue here is not that buying hard drives from Amazon.com seems to be a rather risky thing to do, rather the issue here is with my attempts to return this HDD to Amazon.com through UPS.

Amazon.com gives its customers the option of free returns by UPS. One of the UPS return options is a home package pickup, and being the shut-in that I am, that option sounded ideal for me. After all, I had used this UPS home package pickup service once before, with no problem. I had no reasons to suspect that there would be a problem this time.

On Thursday, March 17, 2016, I was, apparently, in the shower when the UPS driver made his first attempt to pick up that return package. I had not expected the driver to arrive quite that early. I did not know that they would show up at 9:03 AM. Okay, now I know that is possible. I was still in the shower at that time. I felt bad, but I figured that I would be ready for the second pickup attempt, the next day.

On Friday, March 18, 2016, at 1:20 PM, I was, apparently, in the kitchen dealing with a bleeding finger (I had cut my thumb and index finger on a cocoa canister's sharp metal rim as I was rinsing it out before recycling it) when the UPS driver tried to pick up the return package. I did not hear anyone knocking at my door, but I will assume that the driver did try to pick up the package that day. I did hear the sounds of someone being miffed about something when I turned the faucet off. Since I had not heard a knock, I thought it was one of the neighbors pissed off about something or another, as happens sometimes. But that sound of someone being miffed about something, well, that was at about the time of day posted for the second package pickup attempt, so it must have been the UPS driver making that miffed noise outside my door that day.

Okay, it must have been the large hepa filter, that is always on during the day and is situated between the living room and kitchen area, in combination with running water while I was at the kitchen sink, rinsing off a bloody finger, that must have drowned out the knocking at my door last Friday. But honestly, that UPS driver must not have knocked very hard, because I think I should have heard the knocking of someone who really wanted attention, but I did not. All I heard was the scuffs and grunts of someone pissed off as soon as I turned the faucet off.

Well then, I guess I need to turn that hepa filter off when I am expecting a package pickup, or delivery.

I wrote to UPS support asking if there would be a UPS pickup attempt on Saturday, or would it be on Monday, but UPS support would not help me if I did not have a tracking number, and Amazon.com did not give me a tracking number. The tracking number for Amazon.com returns are given to the customer when the UPS driver picks up the package, so there I was, stuck in a catch 22 situation. I had no choice but to be ready for a possible package pickup on Saturday, March 19, 2016. So I waited, and waited, and waited, but the only knock on my door that came that day was from the USPS, delivering my new, new (used) Gigabyte motherboard (on his first attempt, by the way).

Then Monday March 21, 2016 comes up, and there I sat, all day, with the hepa filter off, listening carefully and being extra careful not to make too much noise that might drown out a soft-knocking, hot-tempered, UPS driver. No knock came that day. I heard my neighbors coming and going, and even saw one of them coming up the stairs, but there was no UPS driver that came to knock on my door that day.

Funny, I see online that the UPS driver claims to have tried to pick up that return package at 4:45 PM, on March 21, 2016. That is a bold faced lie!

That UPS Driver did not come to my door that yesterday, or if he did, he did not knock. I was in and out of the shower before 8:00 AM, the hepa filter was off, I was done with the morning dishes by 9:03 AM, and I had been listening carefully while the water was running, and keeping the running water to as short of a time as possible. There was no knock at my door, period. I would have heard it this time.

At about 4:45 PM, on Monday March 21, 2016, I was sitting right here at my computer writing to Amazon.com support about the UPS driver situation. My computer is about 8' from the front door. There is NO WAY I would have missed someone knocking at my door at that time. They could have just brushed up against the door and I would have heard it.

So here I am, stuck with a return package sitting here with me. They only give you three chanced to have the package picked up, so now I will have to find another way to get this packed returned to Amazon.com. I can tell you this, if I have to pay to return this package, it WILL NOT be shipping this with UPS!

This is not the first time that I have had issues with UPS drivers. This is just the latest incident I have had with UPS. At my last apartment, I had the issued of UPS drivers delivering my packages to the apartment complex manager's office, without letting me know where they had dropped off the packages, or even letting me know that they had delivered them, and I did not always have a tracking number to find this out.

Early on, before I realized what was going on, I ended up with a double shipment from Office Depot. I had reported the first package as lost in the mail, and had a replacement shipment sent to me. After I had received the replacement package, I then discovered that the first shipment was in the manager's office. And of course, this made me look bad, like I was scamming the system, when it was not my fault at all. I never did find out what that piece of paper that the UPS driver had me sign was all about. I had thought it was just to confirm that the driver had indeed delivered that second shipment to me, at my door, but then realized that form was probably for something else. Too late, I realized that I may have signed a statement saying that I had received the first package before ordering the replacement package, and that was not true. And that was not the last time the UPS drivers would route my packages to the manager's office, in fact, that became their routine… and those packages left in the manager’s office would sometimes disappear, without a trace of where they went to.

Now, after this latest incident, I trust UPS drivers even less than I did before.

MACJR
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage of the MythBusters
(03-22-2016, 11:01 AM)MACJR Wrote: On March 15, 2016, I received a package from Amazon.com with a hard drive that I had ordered about a week before. I was busy that day, so it was not until the next day that I discovered that the hard drive was DOA (Dead On Arrival). This is the second, in a row, hard drive that I ordered from Amazon.com that was DOA, but I had discovered that the first HDD (Hard Disk Drive) was dead too late to return it to Amazon.com (they only allow 30 days to return merchandise, but I had set the hard drive on a shelf for later use, and thus, found out that it was dead a few months too late).

It now stands that two, out of three, hard drives that I have bought from Amazon.com arrived in non-working condition. The first one arrived in good condition and is still working fine. However, the next two hard drives did not work, at all. These dead hard drives looked fine, but they could not be detected by a computer, and if a computer cannot even see the drive, it cannot format it, and a hard drive that cannot be formulated is useless.

However, the issue here is not that buying hard drives from Amazon.com seems to be a rather risky thing to do, rather the issue here is with my attempts to return this HDD to Amazon.com through UPS.

Amazon.com gives its customers the option of free returns by UPS. One of the UPS return options is a home package pickup, and being the shut-in that I am, that option sounded ideal for me. After all, I had used this UPS home package pickup service once before, with no problem. I had no reasons to suspect that there would be a problem this time.

On Thursday, March 17, 2016, I was, apparently, in the shower when the UPS driver made his first attempt to pick up that return package. I had not expected the driver to arrive quite that early. I did not know that they would show up at 9:03 AM. Okay, now I know that is possible. I was still in the shower at that time. I felt bad, but I figured that I would be ready for the second pickup attempt, the next day.

On Friday, March 18, 2016, at 1:20 PM, I was, apparently, in the kitchen dealing with a bleeding finger (I had cut my thumb and index finger on a cocoa canister's sharp metal rim as I was rinsing it out before recycling it) when the UPS driver tried to pick up the return package. I did not hear anyone knocking at my door, but I will assume that the driver did try to pick up the package that day. I did hear the sounds of someone being miffed about something when I turned the faucet off. Since I had not heard a knock, I thought it was one of the neighbors pissed off about something or another, as happens sometimes. But that sound of someone being miffed about something, well, that was at about the time of day posted for the second package pickup attempt, so it must have been the UPS driver making that miffed noise outside my door that day.

Okay, it must have been the large hepa filter, that is always on during the day and is situated between the living room and kitchen area, in combination with running water while I was at the kitchen sink, rinsing off a bloody finger, that must have drowned out the knocking at my door last Friday. But honestly, that UPS driver must not have knocked very hard, because I think I should have heard the knocking of someone who really wanted attention, but I did not. All I heard was the scuffs and grunts of someone pissed off as soon as I turned the faucet off.

Well then, I guess I need to turn that hepa filter off when I am expecting a package pickup, or delivery.

I wrote to UPS support asking if there would be a UPS pickup attempt on Saturday, or would it be on Monday, but UPS support would not help me if I did not have a tracking number, and Amazon.com did not give me a tracking number. The tracking number for Amazon.com returns are given to the customer when the UPS driver picks up the package, so there I was, stuck in a catch 22 situation. I had no choice but to be ready for a possible package pickup on Saturday, March 19, 2016. So I waited, and waited, and waited, but the only knock on my door that came that day was from the USPS, delivering my new, new (used) Gigabyte motherboard (on his first attempt, by the way).

Then Monday March 21, 2016 comes up, and there I sat, all day, with the hepa filter off, listening carefully and being extra careful not to make too much noise that might drown out a soft-knocking, hot-tempered, UPS driver. No knock came that day. I heard my neighbors coming and going, and even saw one of them coming up the stairs, but there was no UPS driver that came to knock on my door that day.

Funny, I see online that the UPS driver claims to have tried to pick up that return package at 4:45 PM, on March 21, 2016. That is a bold faced lie!

That UPS Driver did not come to my door that yesterday, or if he did, he did not knock. I was in and out of the shower before 8:00 AM, the hepa filter was off, I was done with the morning dishes by 9:03 AM, and I had been listening carefully while the water was running, and keeping the running water to as short of a time as possible. There was no knock at my door, period. I would have heard it this time.

At about 4:45 PM, on Monday March 21, 2016, I was sitting right here at my computer writing to Amazon.com support about the UPS driver situation. My computer is about 8' from the front door. There is NO WAY I would have missed someone knocking at my door at that time. They could have just brushed up against the door and I would have heard it.

So here I am, stuck with a return package sitting here with me. They only give you three chanced to have the package picked up, so now I will have to find another way to get this packed returned to Amazon.com. I can tell you this, if I have to pay to return this package, it WILL NOT be shipping this with UPS!

This is not the first time that I have had issues with UPS drivers. This is just the latest incident I have had with UPS. At my last apartment, I had the issued of UPS drivers delivering my packages to the apartment complex manager's office, without letting me know where they had dropped off the packages, or even letting me know that they had delivered them, and I did not always have a tracking number to find this out.

Early on, before I realized what was going on, I ended up with a double shipment from Office Depot. I had reported the first package as lost in the mail, and had a replacement shipment sent to me. After I had received the replacement package, I then discovered that the first shipment was in the manager's office. And of course, this made me look bad, like I was scamming the system, when it was not my fault at all. I never did find out what that piece of paper that the UPS driver had me sign was all about. I had thought it was just to confirm that the driver had indeed delivered that second shipment to me, at my door, but then realized that form was probably for something else. Too late, I realized that I may have signed a statement saying that I had received the first package before ordering the replacement package, and that was not true. And that was not the last time the UPS drivers would route my packages to the manager's office, in fact, that became their routine… and those packages left in the manager’s office would sometimes disappear, without a trace of where they went to.

Now, after this latest incident, I trust UPS drivers even less than I did before.

MACJR

I never had any problems on a pick up but I did on a delivery. Although This place had the address displayed the driver said the house did not have an address so he left the package down at the Liberty Cafe so after a long wait I called the company to find out what happened. They said he left it at the road house. Road house? what road house? So after another long wait I called them up again so they sent another one. And again the long wait for nothing. But on mothers day of that year I took Mom up to Mineral Springs for a couple sips of suds and the Cafe owner was there and said I had a couple of packages waiting for me there. What a lame driver. I ended up putting the address on the mail box in large numbers for such idiots in the future. Dodgy  Since then I have heard the Cafe owner has had trouble with them too. UPS must have a policy to hire morons as a rule.
(03-22-2016, 11:01 AM)MACJR Wrote: On March 15, 2016, I received a package from Amazon.com with a hard drive that I had ordered about a week before. I was busy that day, so it was not until the next day that I discovered that the hard drive was DOA (Dead On Arrival). This is the second, in a row, hard drive that I ordered from Amazon.com that was DOA, but I had discovered that the first HDD (Hard Disk Drive) was dead too late to return it to Amazon.com (they only allow 30 days to return merchandise, but I had set the hard drive on a shelf for later use, and thus, found out that it was dead a few months too late).

MACJR

I never had any problems on a pick up but I did on a delivery. Although This place had the address displayed the driver said the house did not have an address so he left the package down at the Liberty Cafe, so after a long wait I called the company to find out what happened. They said he left it at the road house. Road house? what road house? So after another long wait I called them up again so they sent another one. And again the long wait for nothing. But on mothers day of that year I took Mom up to Mineral Springs for a couple sips of suds and the Cafe owner was there and said I had a couple of packages waiting for me there. What a lame driver. I ended up putting the address on the mail box in large numbers for such idiots in the future. Dodgy  Since then I have heard the Cafe owner has had trouble with them too. UPS must have a policy to hire morons as a rule.
(03-23-2016, 09:22 AM)White Crane Wrote: I never had any problems on a pick up but I did on a delivery. Although This place had the address displayed the driver said the house did not have an address so he left the package down at the Liberty Cafe, so after a long wait I called the company to find out what happened. They said he left it at the road house. Road house? what road house? So after another long wait I called them up again so they sent another one. And again the long wait for nothing. But on mothers day of that year I took Mom up to Mineral Springs for a couple sips of suds and the Cafe owner was there and said I had a couple of packages waiting for me there. What a lame driver. I ended up putting the address on the mail box in large numbers for such idiots in the future. Dodgy  Since then I have heard the Cafe owner has had trouble with them too. UPS must have a policy to hire morons as a rule.

To be fair, not all UPS drivers are bad, and I know one, retired, UPS driver that is a good friend of mine. It is only the few lame ducks that make the whole company look bad.

At the old place, I had more bad experiences with UPS than I have had at this new place. In fact, this is the first problem I have had with UPS at this new place.

When I lived over on Casino Road though, getting a good UPS driver seemed more like a fluke, rather than the rule.

MACJR
Update: UPS decided to send out a driver again, today, to pick up that return package.

This time, the driver did knock (more than) loud enough to be heard, and I was sitting at one of my computer stations (at the computer with the new [used] Gigabyte motherboard in it, installing and adjusting software and settings in Kubuntu) in the living room, so I did not miss the package pickup this time.

I just wish I had known that a UPS driver was coming today, or that he was coming at all. My conversations with UPS support were left unresolved, as far as I knew. So there I was, scruffy, in socks, sweats, and an old tea shirt, not at all expecting a UPS driver knocking on my door, and I had not had a shower today, and worse, I had done a workout this morning so my hair was plenty flat.

Oh well. At least that damned dead hard drive is finally on its way back to Amazon.com. I have confirmed that the package has been scanned into the UPS system and is being processed for shipping.

MACJR