Plug & Play (Part 1)
It appears that the Ubuntu operating system is not near as touchy as windows when it comes to plug and play. I plugged in the wrong drive for this computer and it works just fine. For now at at least. I have done that with windows too but usually either it works poorly or does not work at all. [Image: dodgy.gif]

Original Post Date: 12-17-2011, 09:20 AM
(12-17-2011, 09:20 AM)White Crane Wrote: Wrote:It appears that the Ubuntu operating system is not near as touchy as windows when it comes to plug and play. I plugged in the wrong drive for this computer and it works just fine. For now at at least. I have done that with windows too but usually either it works poorly or does not work at all. [Image: dodgy.gif]

I think you could still get away with that kind of thing with Windows 98, but by Windows XP Microsoft had "fixed" Windows so you could not simply move a hard drive to another computer without having to completely reinstall Windows.

Windows is too proprietary to let people do such convenient things. I think that eventually that will be Microsoft's undoing... unless they get with the program and stop being so blasted greedy.

Ubuntu is far more convenient for such things as moving a hard drive from one computer to another without having to reinstall everything. You can even run Ubuntu on a thumb drive and use it on any computer that is capable of running it. In fact, you can even run Ubuntu, from a thumb drive, on a Windows computer, and access Windows content without logging in to Windows. It is a HUGE FLAW in Windows security. You can block Ubuntu from doing this, but that is not the Windows default setting.

MACJR

Original Post Date: 12-17-2011, 10:33 AM
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage of the MythBusters
My Ubuntu computers are still out of order so I am not sure what graphics I have on them right now. Shotwell I think. The only time I used it was to import a heap load of pictures that are still in there. Since I am on the subject of Ubuntu right now I am no longer sure its the hard drive that has the problem. After a little use with a differant drive it started acting up again. Hence the out of order. Some day I will fix it but not today. Between the two of them I'm sure I can get one of them to work. I'm not sure its not the latest upgrade that is the problem. Both computers acting up with that upgrade? I wonder?

Original Post Date: 12-25-2011, 02:54 PM
I will get back to you on some better options for Linux based graphics programs that work in Ubuntu. There are some graphics programs that show some potential, but none of them are as good as old JASC versions of Paint Shop Pro... at least not yet. However, at the rate that Corel has been ruining Paint Shop Pro, ever since they bought out JASC, it will not be long before someone comes out with something vastly better than the trash that Corel has turned Paint Shop Pro into (the latest versions, X3 and X4, are bloated memory hogs that are designed by complete morons who have no clue as to how a proper graphics programs should work).

I had asked you (in that IM) what graphics program you used so that I could give you some pointers on how to do such things as resizing a picture. I can give you some general guidelines, but if I know what you are using, I can get more specific.

As for the latest version of Ubuntu, it works find on this computer, but this computer is newer than the ones you have. You may need to go back to Ubuntu 10.04.

I somewhat like Ubuntu 11.10, but I like Windows 7 vastly better. Especially since the latest greatest versions of Ubuntu all feel unfinished, and almost stripped naked of any useful features and customization options. I find that rather lame, so I do not run Ubuntu all that often anymore.

MACJR

Original Post Date: 12-25-2011, 04:18 PM
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage of the MythBusters