Its ok to answer the quiz
Hey everybody, Its ok to answer the quiz in geology if you know the answers so I can think up new ones.
(01-18-2012, 11:53 AM)White Crane Wrote: Hey everybody, Its ok to answer the quiz in geology if you know the answers so I can think up new ones.

Sorry, White Crane, but your quizzes are getting a bit too obscure for me. I did get a chuckle out of some of the bonehead questions you threw in though. Wink

Yes, you can make gold float. Not as a nugget, but if you flatten it out real thin foil, and make it into a dish, bowl, or boat shape, you can make gold float.

The MythBusters even proved that you could make a lead balloon that floats in the air.

And as far as I know, 16 oz is a lb no matter what you are measuring.

But for the rest of your quiz questions, I really have no interests in those areas. I would have to look those topics up online to even attempt to answer some of them, and I really do have better things to do right now.

Give me some time and I may get to one or two of those quizzes, eventually, but not right now.

Maybe someone else will come along and want to play? Give it some time and see.

MACJR
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage of the MythBusters
Nope, I did not know about "troy ounces." I believe that I have heard the term before, but I did not know the specifications for them.

I had figured that might be a trick question though. Wink

MACJR
Sorry... I hardly know anything about geology. I wouldn't even know where to start with many of the questions. Sad

That being said, I'm always interested in learning new things, so maybe you could put the answers right in the post so that is is more informational and I could pick up a new interest Smile
(01-19-2012, 04:54 PM)nannyjo Wrote: Sorry... I hardly know anything about geology. I wouldn't even know where to start with many of the questions. Sad

That being said, I'm always interested in learning new things, so maybe you could put the answers right in the post so that is is more informational and I could pick up a new interest Smile

Rather than put the answers in the same thread, perhaps separate threads for quiz answers.

For example, "Quiz # 3 Answers" would give people a place to look if they are at least curious to know what the answers are, even if they are not willing to spend the time to research online to see if they can find the answers.

I personally only like to take quizzes on topics I have studied before (I am not fond of placement exams). I am very familiar with geology topics, geology is one of my interests, but I do not have specialized knowledge of mining for gold topics. Naturally, not doing a lot of reading on mining topics, there are a lot of things about mining I have no clue about.

It is only that I do have some geology background that I am able to answer, or guess some of the answers, to Ron's quizzes.

I should make some HTML and CSS quizzes and see how well Ron does on those. Wink

MACJR
OK, That is where the classic Bah Humbug comes in. Smile Point made. As far as giving away the answers forget it. That would defeat the purpose of the quiz. When someone comes up with the right answer then it is displayed. Tongue Although that is not a bad idea. But whats to keep you'all from cheating Wink
(01-19-2012, 08:41 PM)White Crane Wrote: OK, That is where the classic Bah Humbug comes in. Smile Point made. As far as giving away the answers forget it. That would defeat the purpose of the quiz. When someone comes up with the right answer then it is displayed. Tongue Although that is not a bad idea. But whats to keep you'all from cheating Wink

You are displaying a rather large lack of trust here. I suppose it is true that a large number of people are not worth much in the trust department, so I guess I cannot blame you too much.

However, would you at least consider sending the answers to those who ask for them via PM?

Then you would know who is cheating if they answer your quizzes, after they have asked for the answers.

I will never ask you for the answers to your quizzes. When I get to it, I get to it. If not, then, oh well.

More than likely, sooner or later, I will stumble across some of the answers to some of your quiz questions when I am not even looking for them, anyway. Wink

MACJR
Sure, I will do that, I just dont want to spoil it for those who would like to play. Now if you was to post the answers then that is ok. Gotta play by the rules now. Smile
(01-20-2012, 03:43 PM)White Crane Wrote: Sure, I will do that, I just dont want to spoil it for those who would like to play. Now if you was to post the answers then that is ok. Gotta play by the rules now. Smile

You have some say in the rules of your own posts, as long as they do not conflict with the overall board rules.

For example, you can post rules in your quizzes that say something like:

"Please do not post your answers to this quiz in this thread. Please PM me your answers.

Thank you."

You can also ask me, or NJ, to lock your quiz posts so that no one without Super Mod posers can post on your quiz posts.

If you do not mind people posting on your quizzes, you can add something like this to your quiz threads:

"If you do not want to take this quiz, but you would like the quiz answers, please PM me a request for the answers. Please keep in mind though, if you receive the quiz answers from me that disqualifies you from participating in my quiz! Tongue"

Just let us know what you want.

MACJR
That is all good in its own way but, The purpose of a quiz is to see what you know without your notes. Only the big bosses can have the cheat sheet. All others must either know the answers or best guess. And they may post it. Once the quiz is passed by one or all, And the answers are correctly answered then we can move on. You may need to study before you can answer, That is allowed. As far as rules are concerned, I hate them. If one knows they are doing wrong then they are the ones without honor!!!
!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!

Answers to Quiz 2 and 3 are below.

Answers to quiz 2
1) cool
2) Cinnabar
3) 76 lbs

After 4 years and no bites I will go ahead and post the answers.

Answers to quiz 3
1) B, there 24 grains to a penny weight (DWT) It is approx, 1 1/2 grams.
2) C,
3) A, Gold and other precious metals use the troy weight system and there are only 12 ounces to a pound.
4) True, Dry gold flakes will float and ride down a stream until it gets fully wet and sinks or gets caught up in moss or rocks. Washing moss is a good way to find gold specks for the beginner. Wink
I moved the answered to your quizzes here.

Best not to have the answers right under the questions, in case someone does come along who wants to answer them, without seeing the answers first.

Posting them here, at least there is a chance that they will forget the answers by the time they get to the quiz, if they see this page first.

MACJR
(01-28-2016, 04:25 PM)MACJR Wrote: I moved the answered to your quizzes here.

Best not to have the answers right under the questions, in case someone does come along who wants to answer them, without seeing the answers first.

Posting them here, at least there is a chance that they will forget the answers by the time they get to the quiz, if they see this page first.

MACJR

Great, I did not like it right there either. Smile