The Mine (Part 1)

.jpg   Portal.jpg (Size: 10.63 KB / Downloads: 69)
.jpg   Nuggets from 2010.jpg (Size: 10.73 KB / Downloads: 69)

.jpg   Bug on tromel.JPG (Size: 473.42 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   BlueJay.JPG (Size: 447.86 KB / Downloads: 0)

Well,Lets try this again. I have learned that you cannot wander off this page to add another photo and expect your work to still be here. Anyway, These pictures of the portal was taken in 2008-2009. In 2010 we mined along the face of the hill taking out the portal and my rock work. It was in that area where the gold in the pic on the left came from. 
I do not have any pictures of our mining operation due to an upgrade of the Ubuntu operating system locking me out of my computer so I lost them. I will take some new pictures and post them in the future. 
The pic with my dog Bug on the trommel would have been much better had I been a little quicker on the trigger. I caught him just as he was turning to leave.

Original Post Date: 12-21-2011, 10:47 AM

Note: I removed the attachments that did not work. Not sure what the problem was. - MACJR (12-27-2011, 08:15 AM)

Note 2, I increased the allowed image file-size, that can be posted to this board, but unfortunately, changing that setting did not allow extra-large images to post thumbnails. I did try to get the two linked images to post as thumbnails, but it seems that this is a board limitation, written into the board's core code. This limits what I can adjust for in the board's settings - unless I rewrite the board's core code myself. For now, I recommend that, when possible, post images that are smaller than 300 KB if you want them to post a thumbnail version of your pictures in your posts. I added the last two, re-sized, pictures in this post. They are copies of the two over-sized images that were too large to make thumbnails on their own. I left the links to the full-sized versions of those two pictures for anyone who wants to see them at full-size. MACJR (01-17-2016, 12:32 PM)

Note 3, "The Mine (Part 2)" was originally titled, "The Mine." Due to circumstances beyond my control, and for complex reasons that I would rather not go into, it became necessary to split off the first half of "The Mine" and recreate those posts here, in "The Mine (Part 1)". - MACJR (01-17-2016, 01:28 PM)
You now have 8 hours to edit your posts with.

I had figured 30 minutes was plenty of time to edit posts with, but maybe other people need a bit more time.

The reason I prefer a shorter time for editing posts is that I have no way to know if something has changed in a post, after I have read it, if someone edits that post after I have visited it. An edited post does not show up as a new post, no matter how much of its content you change, or what you add to it.

If you want to add more content, I would prefer that you just add another post to that thread. That way, I know there is something new in that thread to see and I will come back to take a look. [Image: wink.png]

I know of a message board where the Admin prefers that people edit their posts rather than make double posts (two posts in a row). But there are times someone will edit their posts on that board and I do not see their changes and additions until much, much, later, if at all, because, like with this board, there are no notices of those changes to edited posts.

As for leaving a page with a "Post New Reply" window still open, that is always a bad idea… unless you wanted to lose all the work that you put into that aborted post.

To keep from losing your work, just open another tab with the board on it. To do that, either open a new tab and use your bookmark for this board to open a second instance of the board, or hold down the "Ctrl" button and then right click the Mini-Verse² logo, or link, above, and select, "Open Link in a New Tab. From there, you can navigate to wherever you wanted to go on the board and not lose your open post reply window on the previous tab.

If you have a mouse with a scroll wheel in the middle, a faster way to open a link into a new tab is just to press down on the mouse's wheel (using it as a button) while you have the mouse pointed at a link.

MACJR

Original Post Date: 12-21-2011, 12:58 PM
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage of the MythBusters
It turns out that I wasnt able to edit what I wanted to after all. The word trommel was spelled wrong and I cant fix that here. according to the spell check it is spelled wrong even when it is right. I could replace the photo I guess but it really is not that important. Also I tried to fix it so all the pictures showed up without having to click the link but had no luck there either. So it is as it is. It was nice of you to add time to edit for those slow pokes like me. Thank you [Image: smile.png] An hour or two would have been plenty of time though.

Original Post Date: 12-22-2011, 05:00 PM
If you have pictures hosted someplace online, that allows you to link to those images from other web sites, all you need is the web address to those images to post them here. This gives you more control over the placement of your images in your posts.

To place images within your post, at full size rather than as thumbnails at the bottom of your post, you need to host those images on a website, like http://www.photobucket.com. I have not tested to see if pictures uploaded to Microsoft's SkyDrive, facebook, or Google+ will work here, but they might. If you have your images hosted at a website, you can then add a link to those images into your post by clicking the "Insert image" icon in the toolbar just above the text area in the post reply window. Just enter the full URL (web address) to those images in the text box that pops up and then click okay. Adding images this way allows you to center and adjust the placement of your images too on the page, too.

To center your image(s), after you have added the link to your image within your post reply window, you select the entire line of text for that image, including the img tags, and then click the "Align text to the center" icon. That works for both text and pictures.

Note: you do not have to use the icon in the toolbar to place images in your post. All you need is to know how to use the img tags. This works for centering and such too, but the one click option saves time and typing though. [Image: wink.png]

I had figured that 8 hours was more than enough time to edit a post, but I wanted to make sure you had plenty of time to play around. I may set it down to 2 hours though. That should give someone enough time to change their mind, and revise their post, or make corrections, in most cases. A person can always ask to have their post edited (or deleted) by a Super Mod, or me, after that 2 hour window has expired.

MACJR

Original Post Date: 12-22-2011, 08:31 AM
[Image: Ron_Crane_Christmas_2002.png]
This is a picture of White Crane on Christmas Day, 2002.

I took this picture just down the road a bit from the mine site. The scene behind White Crane gives you a glimpse of the mountainous terrain in that area, which is located just on the eastern slopes of the Cascade Mountains of Washington State.

It gets cold and snowy up there. I slipped and landed on my backside a few times walking up the driveway to the house where we had Christmas dinner. My car could not make it up the hill. I had new all season tires on my car, but they could not get any traction on that icy hill. I had to park at the halfway point up the hill, to one side of the driveway. To make matters worse, I slipped onto my backside on the way back down to the car too. I think I might still have an imprint of a crystalline rock, which I had in my back pocket, on my bottom, to this day.

MACJR

Original Post Date: 12-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Urg!

Original Post Date: 12-22-2011, 07:04 PM
(12-22 -2011, 07 :04 PM)White Crane Wrote:Urg!

Sorry you do not like that one. I do not find it so objectionable. [Image: wink.png]

I am not all that fond of most pictures of me, either.

I remember seeing a better picture of that hillside someplace, but I am not sure where it is at right now, or if I have a scan of it.

Well, off to do a workout and then relax for the evening.

MACJR

Original Post Date: 12-23-2011, 03:33 PM
The picture is fine, The Starr's have one photo of me that I like. As far as I know that is the only one. When I see one of myself its like looking in the mirror. I find that just as bad. I have a little more gray in my hair now. But the point of your post is the hillside, Not me. [Image: smile.png]

Original Post Date: 12-23-2011, 05:29 PM
(12-21-2011, 10:47 AM)White Crane Wrote: Wrote:Note: I removed the attachments that did not work. Not sure what the problem was. - MACJR

I think I messed them up when I tried to edit this post. I was having a hard time getting what I wanted done to work right. I never did get it right.

Original Post Date: 12-29-2011, 10:57 AM
It takes time and practice to get the hang of how message boards work, and each one is a bit different. I am still learning about how some things work on this board, myself.

I think you would get better results if you would set up a Photobucket account, and then host your images with them. Then you just click on the "Insert image" icon (looks like mountains with a sun or moon above them) in the Post Reply's toolbar, and then paste in the link to the image's URL... that you can get from Photobucket for each of the images you have hosted with them.

I cheat, I use my own web sites to host my images, so I do not need Photobucket, but I do have an account with them that I use for some things. It is handy.

You have better control of how the image places on the page, and it shows up at full size rather than as a thumbnail, when you use the "Insert image" option.

Using the attachment option is always available, but you can already see the limitations of posting images that way.

I do have some options for attachments I can look into. I just have not gotten back to that yet. I am working under The Board’s hood on other things right now. My guess is that no matter what changes I make to the attachment settings though, hosting images on Photobucket would still be the better option.

MACJR

Original Post Date: 12-29-2011, 11:36 AM
(01-17-2016, 08:00 AM)White Crane Wrote: Well,Lets try this again. I have learned that you cannot wander off this page to add another photo and expect your work to still be here. Anyway, These pictures of the portal was taken in 2008-2009. In 2010 we mined along the face of the hill taking out the portal and my rock work. It was in that area where the gold in the pic on the left came from. 
I do not have any pictures of our mining operation due to an upgrade of the Ubuntu operating system locking me out of my computer so I lost them. I will take some new pictures and post them in the future. 
The pic with my dog Bug on the trommel would have been much better had I been a little quicker on the trigger. I caught him just as he was turning to leave.

Original Post Date: 12-21-2011, 10:47 AM

Note: I removed the attachments that did not work. Not sure what the problem was. - MACJR (12-27-2011, 08:15 AM)

Note 2, I increased the allowed image file-size, that can be posted to this board, but unfortunately, changing that setting did not allow extra-large images to post thumbnails. I did try to get the two linked images to post as thumbnails, but it seems that this is a board limitation, written into the board's core code. This limits what I can adjust for in the board's settings - unless I rewrite the board's core code myself. For now, I recommend that, when possible, post images that are smaller than 300 KB if you want them to post a thumbnail version of your pictures in your posts. I added the last two, re-sized, pictures in this post. They are copies of the two over-sized images that were too large to make thumbnails on their own. I left the links to the full-sized versions of those two pictures for anyone who wants to see them at full-size. MACJR (01-17-2016, 12:32 PM)

Note 3, "The Mine (Part 2)" was originally titled, "The Mine." Due to circumstances beyond my control, and for complex reasons that I would rather not go into, it became necessary to split off the first half of "The Mine" and recreate those posts here, in "The Mine (Part 1)". - MACJR (01-17-2016, 01:28 PM)

Update: After the board merge some pictures are not in order any more. Most of that does not matter except where it is stated the gold on the left came from a certain area, that picture is now on the right side. although all of it was within 40 feet from each other they was from different runs.
The pictures here are in the same order they were showing in the last board.

It is possible that the order got mixed up after you first posted them though. After you first posted them, you tried to fix some issues, and then I had to come in and clean up the situation after that.

You were still learning how to post attachments back then, and that was back when there was less control over attached images than there is now, too.

With Mod powers, you can edit those pictures, again, yourself, to set the order right.

There are two ways to do this. One, click edit, then select Quick Edit. This displays the images as attachment numbers. Select the attachment number you want moved, and move it. Either by cut and paste, or by highlighting the image and then dragging and dropping it into place.

Two, select Full Edit, but then click the "View Source" icon, on the right side of the post toolbar menu. It is the icon that looks like a page with one corner bent. This then gives you the same view as you get with a Quick Edit, but has the benefit of giving you access to the formatting toolbar, that is absent in a Quick Edit.

By the way, the formatting toolbar lets you center your text, and images. The center your image, or text, just highlight the link, or text, and click the secint icon, in the second set of icons to the left. If you see full images, you can place your cursor to the right of the image, and press that "Center" icon to center the images, too.

The more you practice this stuff, the more you will learn. The more you learn, the more you can do. The more you can do, the better your chances of Mod rank advancement.  Wink

MACJR
(01-28-2016, 04:42 PM)MACJR Wrote: The pictures here are in the same order they were showing in the last board.

It is possible that the order got mixed up after you first posted them though. After you first posted them, you tried to fix some issues, and then I had to come in and clean up the situation after that.

You were still learning how to post attachments back then, and that was back when there was less control over attached images than there is now, too.

With Mod powers, you can edit those pictures, again, yourself, to set the order right.

There are two ways to do this. One, click edit, then select Quick Edit. This displays the images as attachment numbers. Select the attachment number you want moved, and move it. Either by cut and paste, or by highlighting the image and then dragging and dropping it into place.

Two, select Full Edit, but then click the "View Source" icon, on the right side of the post toolbar menu. It is the icon that looks like a page with one corner bent. This then gives you the same view as you get with a Quick Edit, but has the benefit of giving you access to the formatting toolbar, that is absent in a Quick Edit.

By the way, the formatting toolbar lets you center your text, and images. The center your image, or text, just highlight the link, or text, and click the secint icon, in the second set of icons to the left. If you see full images, you can place your cursor to the right of the image, and press that "Center" icon to center the images, too.

The more you practice this stuff, the more you will learn. The more you learn, the more you can do. The more you can do, the better your chances of Mod rank advancement.  Wink

MACJR

No need to change it. to anybody that reads the whole thing they will note that, maybe. And to those that just scan will never know the difference. Wink