C-Metamorphic
2) Is Calcite a form of Quartz? True or false:
3) What does PbS stand for?
A) Lead
B) Silver
C) Gold
D) None of the above

Original Post Date: 12-26-2011, 04:17 PM
(12-26-2011, 04:17 PM)White Crane Wrote: Wrote:1) What type of rock Is Granite ?
A-sedimentary
B-Igneous
C-Metamorphic
2) Is Calcite a form of Quartz? True or false:
3) What does PbS stand for?
A) Lead
B) Silver
C) Gold
D) None of the above

Well, Granite is not metamorphic, and it is not sedimentary, so that leaves B, igneous.

I would guess false for number 2.

I am guessing B, Silver for number 3.

It has been too long since my Earth science class, but I have not forgotten everything.

Now cheating and looking this up online.

I did not bother looking up 1, I am sure of my answer on that one. I was pretty sure on number 2, as well, and found nothing on Wikipedia to change my mind. I was wrong about number 3 though. Oh well. I don’t think that was covered in that Earth Science class, anyway. [Image: wink.gif]

MACJR

Original Post Date: 12-26-2011, 05:20 PM
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage of the MythBusters
ok, Did you learn what it was?

Original Post Date: 12-26-2011, 06:04 PM
(12-26-2011, 06:04 PM)White Crane Wrote: Wrote:ok, Did you learn what it was?

Well, to find out that I was wrong, would it not make sense that I found the right answer first? [Image: wink.gif]

Yes, I did find the answer. Who knew the PbS was lead? Apparently, I didn't. I would have had a clue if I had looked at my printout of the periodic table of the elements though. It is listed as Pb for lead on there. Silver is Ag, and gold is Au. I knew the one for gold, and the one for iron, which is Fe, but I had forgotten the ones for silver and lead.

I had thought about looking at my periodic table printout before I answered your quiz question, but decided not to cheat.

MACJR

Original Post Date: 12-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Q-2 is right also, It is calcium not quartz.
Q-3 is lead and silver but the answer I was looking for was galena. (the combined state)
(note) Galena can be found with all the above. That option was not available. My mistake.

Original Post Date: 12-27-2011, 06:43 AM
(12-27-2011, 06:43 AM)White Crane Wrote: Wrote:Q-1 is right of coarse but Granite can also be found in a medamorphic form as well.
Q-2 is right also, It is calcium not quartz.
Q-3 is lead and silver but the answer I was looking for was galena. (the combined state)
(note) Galena can be found with all the above. That option was not available. My mistake.

Most any kind of rock can be turned into a metamorphic rock if it gets pushed, pulled, or buried down deep enough into the Earth where the pressure is super intense and it is hot enough to partly melt the original rock and change its properties. I have a few excellent examples of metamorphic rocks in my rock collection that I collected up in The Cascades years ago. I knew that granite forms under the Earth's surface in magma pools that cool down slowly. That is clearly not sedimentary in nature. I had forgotten the exact definition of ingenious rock, but it was the only option left.

I knew the difference about calcite and quartz. I also knew that vinegar with a strong acidic value can dissolve calcite, but it will do nothing to quartz. We did tests on this in that Earth Science class I took.

I had no knowledge of galena, or the symbols used for it. But since the topic of galena has never come up on this board previously, I do not feel bad about missing that surprise quiz question. [Image: wink.gif]

It is possible that galena was covered, at least in part, because we did talk about rocks, minerals, and metals in that Earth Science class I took, but it didn't stick in my head if it was.

MACJR

Original Post Date: 12-27-2011, 08:59 AM